Wednesday, April 21, 2021
You may have come across the popular Indian dish, Palek Paneer. For those who are less familiar, paneer cheese is delicious and relatively inexpensive. Ordering a frozen package is just an online click away.
I mentioned elsewhere that I was inspired by some great recipes from Dishoom’s cooking number. One of them is Mattar Paneer, which I recently cooked for the birthday of my niece, Rebecca Levy.
Once the dough is good, just add the perfect combination of diced paneer cheese and green peas. It will go great with basmati or chapati rice.
1 kg diced red onion or mixed
30 grams of garlic
30 grams of ginger
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
600 grams of chopped tomatoes
1/2 A teaspoon of garam masala
1/2 Teaspoon ground cumin
150 grams of frozen peas
300 g veneer cut into 2 cm cubes
100 ml double cream
- Heat a wok or pot deep over low to medium heat. Then add the oil and when it is heated add the diced onion paste or mix.
- Cook slowly, stirring frequently with the spatula. Add a little water if necessary to prevent bottom burning.
- Add the chili powder, garlic and ginger paste.
- Cook until it is dark brown. It will take about 30 minutes or so.
- Then add the chopped tomato and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the salt, gram masala and ground cumin.
- Add the green peas and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the diced cheese and mix gently for 10 minutes so as not to break the cubes.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
You can always make your own variations and adjustments. You can use chili paste or fresh chili if you prefer. Taste to adjust the salinity if necessary. Garam Masala is readily available at any Indian grocery store or you can also buy it online.
You can hardly go wrong with this dish. Try this.
|The Mattar Paneer finished in the wok.|