Soft-stemmed broccoli on top of cheesy raquel cheese wrapped in buttery puff pastry and baked in the oven to rise. Sprinkle with maple syrup and a few more minutes in the oven, and lo and behold! Your starter for your festive dinner party. You and your guests will love the crunchy pastry, the sweet caramelized maple drizzle on the broccoli and the melted cheese inside. This is a great entree to serve with a winter salad.
Why make puff pastry in this broccoli
If you are looking for an easy recipe for a first course that you can prepare in advance ready for baking then look no further. This recipe requires only a few ingredients that you put together. There is no great preparation to do before it goes into the oven. Just prepare all the ingredients, assemble and bake! The best thing about this soft broccoli puff pastry is that you can assemble it day in and day out and keep it in the fridge. Once the oven is heated it goes straight from the fridge to the oven. If there’s one thing I love when it comes to food it’s pastries. It is so buttery and delicious and indulgent. With this recipe you can not go wrong because it is so simple!
What ingredients do you need to make this recipe
- Puff Pastry: One sheet of fresh puff pastry bought at the store will give you 6 servings.
- Broccoli Tanderstam: They are so delicate that you do not have to cook them. They are perfect for grilling.
- cheese: Raquel cheese melts beautifully and has a lot of flavor. Alternatively use a berry.
- egg: Washing eggs for brushing on the pastries gives them that lovely golden brown color and shine.
- Olive oil: Use a little extra virgin olive oil to brush the soft broccoli.
- Maple syrup: This is the perfect, sweet and sticky finishing touch to this cheese puff pastry.
A few steps to follow
This is how these puffs are made. First you need a fresh rectangular sheet of rolled puff pastry ready. Roll it out and using a knife slice along the middle and then twice across it, divide it into 6 pastry squares. Brush with a little egg wash and set aside. You will then need rectangular slices of raclette cheese and soft broccoli. Rinse the broccoli and brush the flowers with olive oil. Place one slice of cheese, then one or two broccoli stalks diagonally and top with another slice of raclette cheese.
Now connect the two ends of the pastry and wrap in a package. Press the pastry in the middle to seal and brush with egg wash. The pastry is now ready for baking. In the middle of baking pour a drizzle of maple syrup over the broccoli and cheese and then back in the oven until everything is puffed and golden.
These broccoli pastries are best served straight from the oven as they are warm, peeling, crispy, with the melted cheese dripping out and the slightly broccoli flowers sweet and crispy. Try them and tell me what you think. Do not forget to tag me on Instagram so I can see it. If you like this recipe, you will no doubt enjoy my goat cheese, broccoli and light pepper. I hope you enjoy this new recipe and make it for Christmas!
375 grams of ready-made rolled puff pastry
200 grams of soft broccoli
6 slices of raquel cheese, halved
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Line a pan with baking paper. Cut the puff pastry with a knife and divide it into 6 equal squares. Brush with egg wash and set aside.
- Rinse the soft broccoli and brush with a little olive oil. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Place one slice of cheese diagonally on each puff pastry. Top with one or two soft broccoli stalks and then another piece of cheese. Carefully take all the edges of the pastry and wrap to create a package. Close the edges in the middle and brush with egg wash.
- Place each pastry on the baking paper and bake for 20 minutes. Drizzle maple syrup over the broccoli and cheese and place in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes until puffed and golden. Serve immediately.
Quantity per serving