Soft and sweet gingerbread cookies are the ultimate holiday cookie! Butter and soft cookies with crunchy sugar on top with a creamy filling!
Be sure to try my recipe for soft ginger cookies too!
This recipe was made in collaboration with my friends at Imperial Sugar. Find the The full recipe is here.
Gingerbread cookies with vanilla butter cream
This festive take on a classic soft gingerbread cookie is my reference to the popular cookie sold at Trader Joe’s every holiday season! Soft ginger is my favorite type of cookie. Of course I love these cute little ginger people, but they never look as delicious as I want them to be. A soft gingerbread cookie very similar to a snickerdoodle with a little more spice! And of course you have the rich and molasses flavor that is a must in ginger!
Why Ginger Sandwich Cookies?
Why not?? Why is there one cookie when you can have two … with the addition of a creamy and sweet filling on the inside. They are basically a whole dessert! The buttercream blends nicely with the spicy gingerbread cookie. You can even use a delicious cream cheese topping as well, it would be such a great combination! These are a fun way to replace your regular Christmas cookies.
For the full recipe and ingredient list Click here.
- Butter at room temperature
- 1 egg and another 1 egg yolk
- Baking soda powder
- Kosher salt
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nail
- Flour for any purpose
- Coarse turbindo sugar
- Butter at room temperature
- sugar powder
- For cookies: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Celsius. Line the baking pan with baking paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer equipped with the paddle connection mix the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes on medium speed. Add in the molasses and mix until incorporated.
- Then mix in an egg with the addition of another yolk, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves until a smooth mixture is obtained, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed to make sure everything is combined.
- Lower the mixer to low and add in flour until the dough comes together.
- Pour the turbindo sugar into a small bowl and set aside.
- Using a small cookie, take out the dough and roll into balls. Dip half of the dough ball in the turbindo sugar and place them on the prepared baking paper at a distance of 2 inches apart. You just want the top of the cookies to be coated in coarse sugar because you are making sandwiches. You can certainly expect the whole cookie in turbo sugar if you like, but it is not necessary.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes until the edges are golden and cool completely before preparing the sandwiches.
- For the filling: This is just a simple recipe for buttercream. Mix all the fillings until creamy and then transfer to the bottom of half of the cookies. Adjust the creaminess of the filling by adding a tablespoon of more or less milk if necessary. You can also apply the coating, I just find that the coating is faster and less messy. You can do this easily with a perfusion bag or a bag with a zipper with the corner cut.
- Clamp the remaining cookies on top of the filling and form sandwiches.
Making soft gingerbread cookies
The key to making your ginger soft is the ratio of ingredients. Adding egg yolk along with whole egg makes the cookies chewy and soft. The amount of molasses is important along with the right amounts of sugar and flour.
How to get cookies of equal size?
It’s simple and is great for this recipe as well as all the cookie recipes!
- Use a cookie spoon! This is an easy way to ensure your cookies are the same size!
- Weigh the cookie dough. If you do not have a spoonful of cookies, you can weigh the dough to make sure they are all the same size.
- For these cookies, rolling the dough into uniform balls ensures that they are baked evenly.
- Make sure all your ingredients are well mixed. If you do not mix well you can get pockets of butter or sugar that cause the cookie to bake unevenly and spread.
- Once the cookies are out of the oven, if you have noticed that the cookies are distorted, use a spatula to form them back into the correct shape. Once they cool it will not work, so do it soon!
- Use a cream cheese icing instead of buttercream! It will be a delicious combination!
- Add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the coating to fill the cinnamon butter cream!
- Expect the edges of the filling with a few kinds of chocolate chips, coconut or splashes for a festive and beautiful touch!
How to store gingerbread cookies
Store these chewy ginger sandwich cookies sealed at room temperature. You can also freeze them for up to 30 days sealed!
penis For a later date: